Lisa Williams’ book list:
Already stocked in Edinburgh Central Library (on the opposite side of George IV Bridge from the church):
- Akala: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
- Emma Dabiri: What White People Can Do Next
- Alex Renton: Blood Legacy
- Alex Wheatle: Cane Warriors
- Kojo Karam: Uncommon Wealth
- Marika Sherwood: After Abolition
And Central Library has agreed to buy in:
- Hilary Beckles: Britain’s Black Debt
- David Alston: Slaves and Highlanders
- C. Hall: Legacies of Slave Ownership
- T.M. Devine: Recovering Scotland’s Slavery Past
These last four may take a few weeks to arrive in the library, but all these books are in print.
You don’t have to read a book to join the discussions. You could watch a video, do some online research, go to the museum… and e.g. find out about a particular enslaved person, a Caribbean nation, Edinburgh statues/ street names, slave owners, a particular building… We aim to start the group in September so there’s plenty of time to do a little research!